Hope all is well!
The details on the Kotlin Workshop are getting nailed down.
The Kotlin Workshop will be taken place on Saturday, March 17th at 11:30 am.
Later this week, we are sending out the event invitation to the AndroidTO attendees last year. Please check your email box for an early registration of the Kotlin Workshop! The early registration is available until March 6th at 12:00 pm.
For those of you who did not attend AndroidTO last year, but would like to join us, registration will open on March 6th at 12pm.
Once again, registration will open on March 6th at 12pm. The meetup will be on March 17th at 11:30 am.
We look forward to see you at the event!
The GDG Team ## Description
The Kotlin workshop will be divided into two major sections, one is at a higher level understanding of the syntax, the capabilities, and the standard libraries.
The second part will cover using Kotlin in projects, testing, Kotlin Android extension, and Kotlin and Java interoperability.
Please take a look at the prerequisite criteria and the required environments. We want to make sure that everybody who is able to join this event is well aligned to make the most of it.
Please note that we will not be spending any time on helping people setting up the environment. Please ensure to come with the environment prepared.
• 11:30am - doors open
• 12:00pm - Start time: Intro to Kotlin workshop
• 12:05pm - Speaker session begins - Syntax, Capabilities, Standard Libraries
• 1:00pm – Deep-dive section starts - Using Kotlin in Projects
• 2:00pm – Bon voyage!
## Experience Required
• have some experience in developing Android Apps
• have some experience running commands from Terminal or Command Prompt
• have Android Studio installed on the machine
If you are excited about Kotlin developments, but have not had any experience with programming yet, please let somebody else make use of your RSVP for this workshop.
We will be putting together content for those of you who may be interested in developing core programming ability in the upcoming months!
## Hardware/Software Required
Your choice of Operating System.
The installations listed here are what you will require on your machine for your Operating System:
- JDK 6+ installed
- An IDE with the Kotlin plugin. IntelliJ IDEA is recommended (the community edition is free) comes with the plugin installed.
- Android Studio. https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html Please come with these programs already installed on your machine in a way that you know you are able to run it
We will not have time to help people get their computers set up.
• Important to know
Before the workshop, please check the following link:
Watch the videos of the first module: Intro and getting ready, and get the source code, part of the Kotlin Crash Course, so we don’t have to spend time preparing the computer.
## The FAQ Section
### - How can I know for sure if I am ready to take this workshop?
• If you have some experience in Android App developments
• If you feel confident in your ability to follow along with a coding exercise
Then you should be good to go for sure
### - I am not sure if I am going to make it to the workshop
Individuals who RSVP but do not attend the workshop will be blocked from RSVPing for future events.
Let us know if you have any questions at all!
See you soon -
The GDG Toronto Team