GDG Pretoria Google I/O Extended 2023

Rosebank Link, 173 Oxford Road, Johannesburg, 2196

Join us in person for a highlight of this year's Google I/O from various speakers in the industry and some exciting news from our partners!

Jun 16, 2023, 7:00 – 10:00 AM

RSVP'd

Key Themes

Google I/O Extended

About this event

Welcome!

GDG Pretoria (Google Developer Groups) is a community of developers interested in various technologies, primarily Google technologies, such as Firebase, Google Cloud, Android, Flutter, Progressive Web Apps, among others.

The GDG Pretoria Google I/O Extended 2023 event serves as an extension of the annual Google I/O conference and provides an opportunity for local communities to participate and engage in discussions surrounding tech innovation, Google technologies, services, products, and platforms. Our goal is to foster a sense of knowledge sharing, networking, and collaboration within the developer community of developers, students, technology enthusiasts, entrepreneurs, and industry professionals. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced developer, you will find something to learn at the GDG Pretoria Google I/O Extended 2023 event. As long as you have an interest in tech, you are welcome to join GDG Pretoria!

Our speaker line-up for the day will be Wayne Gakuo (keynote), Pamela Hill, and Dean Cowley. Below is some information about them, and what their talks will be about.

About Wayne

Wayne Gakuo is a Frontend Engineer and a Google Developer Expert for Angular, who is constantly learning the best practices of architecting software using Angular while having scalability, maintainability, and user needs in mind. Aside from work, Wayne leads Angular Kenya which trains budding developers to become proficient Angular developers. He is also the Lead for GDG Pwani, a community of like-minded devs who are keen on Google technologies across Kenya's coastal region.

Talk titleAngular at Scale

Talk brief: Most of the time we start building Angular applications without any architectural consideration. In this session, I will be talking about some of the architectural practices to consider while building an Angular application for easy maintainability and scalability.

About Pamela

Pamela Hill is a Developer Advocate for Kotlin Multiplatform at JetBrains and has more than 20 years of experience writing mobile, web, and desktop apps.

Talk title: Exploring the Kotlin Multiplatform Ecosystem

Talk brief: Kotlin Multiplatform is a new cross-platform technology from JetBrains that is taking the mobile world by storm. Many Android and iOS developers have given this exciting technology a try. However, an essential consideration for any technology's adoption is the state of its ecosystem.

This talk aims to help mobile developers understand the depth and breadth of the Kotlin Multiplatform ecosystem. It will focus on areas common to most applications, such as:

- Networking

- Persistence

- Concurrency

- Dependency Injection

- Crash Reporting

- Logging

By the end of the talk, the audience will have a richer understanding of the state of the ecosystem and be able to decide whether Kotlin Multiplatform will work for their apps.

About Dean

Dean Cowley is a Technical Lead at Entelect with over 8 years of experience in native mobile development. He is passionate about Android, Kotlin and Jetpack Compose and is actively exploring Kotlin Multiplatform and other cross-platform technologies for mobile app development.

Talk title: Preparing for Passwordless Experiences with Passkeys

Talk brief: Passkeys are the new industry standard for secure, seamless authentication. In this talk, we'll discuss the benefits of passwordless authentication and how to prepare your apps for it with Passkeys using the Android Credential Manager, Kotlin Multiplatform and Firebase.

The venue will be open from 8:30 and the programme will start at 9:00. To make access to the building easier, please pre-register with out venue host and partner, MpiloTech, at https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=DQSIkWdsW0yxEjajBLZtrQAAAAAAAAAAAAO__dFMFcRUQUMwR0E1REg3NTFSTkEyUDI3N05LMFJZNi4u

When

When

Friday, June 16, 2023
7:00 AM – 10:00 AM UTC

Agenda

Welcome
Angular at Scale - Wayne Gakuo
Q & A
Tea break
A word from our partners
Exploring the Kotlin Multiplatform Ecosystem - Pamela Hill
Q & A