This will be a coding exercise using Kotlin Multi-platform mobile for building an Android and iOS app.
Hello everyone! This meetup will be presented using a Mac computer to enable to creation of cross-platform apps for Android and iOS. To get the most out of this codelab, you will need Android Studio and Xcode (MacOS only). If you don't have a Mac, that's OK, you can still do the Android part of the lab.
Important Note: If you don't already have Xcode installed in your Mac, please plan ahead because setting up all the software can take about one hour or more, depending on your internet download speed and hardware configuration.
Here is a checklist for making the most of this event:
- [ ] Make sure you have Brew setup in your Mac to help you install other packages - https://brew.sh
- [ ] Update Android Studio IDE to latest version > Electric Eel | 2022.1.1
- [ ] Install KMM plugin - https://kotlinlang.org/docs/multiplatform-mobile-setup.html
- [ ] Open Android Studio launcher window
- [ ] Open Plugins tab
- [ ] Search for “Multi” and select Kotlin Multi.. Mobile
- [ ] Install and Restart IDE and confirm choice in pop-up window
- [ ] Start New Project from launcher window
- [ ] Scroll to bottom of templates to find Kotlin Multiplatform App
- [ ] Change app name as needed
- [ ] Change Minimum SDK to API level 31 to meet Google Play Store requirements
- [ ] Use Regular Framework in the dropdown menu and click Finish
- [ ] Switch from Android to Project view (Project tab) to see iOS files
You might find IDE errors after completing the steps above. If you can't fix it before the event, Rod can address those issues during the meetup.
Additionally Rod has a YouTube video to help you complete the above steps! https://youtu.be/yLDHRM8TsRw