Google I/O Extended 2023

Workshop17 Watershed, 17 Dock Road, Cape Town, 8002

GDG Cape Town

Google I/O Extended is a series of community led tech meetups, that bring the knowledge and excitement of Google I/O to local communities. At GDG Cape Town we do not want to miss out and so we are planning a half-day conference for August. Expect a packed program with several local and international high-profile speakers, the majority of them Google Developer experts.

Aug 19, 2023, 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM (UTC)

104 RSVP'd

Key Themes

AndroidAngularFirebaseFlutterGoogle I/O ExtendedMobile

About this event

Come join us for an exhilarating day of tech talks and networking and lots of learning at the Google I/O Extended 2023 event. Here's the full line up of activities and schedule of the event for the day:

🕜 10:00 am

Guest Arriving, breakfast coffee and tea

Welcome Address: "AI for Google Developers"

🕜 11:00 am

John Kimani

There was a ton of content for developers interested in AI at Google I/O this year, from quick genAI prototyping on MakerSuite, to evaluating custom models with the Kaggle community. In this talk, we shall take a summarised look at the tools, libraries and platforms available for developers to build AI-powered products in the most productive and responsible way. Discover the newest tools to help you bring the power of machine learning to your apps and workflows.

DOODLE SKETCHING IN COMPOSE MOBILE AND DESKTOP

🕜 11:15 am

Maia Grotepass (Staff Engineer: Android principal at Luno)

Do you remember the freedom of doodling without knowing what the outcome would be? What if this were possible in a coding framework such as Compose? This talk explores experimenting with still visuals and animations using Jetpack compose for Android and Desktop.

We will look at:

• How the animation loop works
  • Basic drawing features available in Jetpack
  • Compose and differences between mobile and desktop
  • Useful add on libraries for creative coding with Jetpack Compose
  • Some inspirations to kickstart our doodles
  • Live code demo

BATHROOM BREAK

🕜 11:55 pm

SERVER-SIDE RENDERING IN ANGULAR

🕜 12:05 pm

Wayne Gakuo (Google Developer Expert for Angular | Frontend Developer | Angular x TypeScript | Lead at Angular Kenya | Co-Organizer at GDG Nairobi)

Server-side rendering (SSR) is a technique that allows Angular applications to be rendered on the server before being sent to the client. This has a number of benefits, including improved SEO, faster initial app load, and better app performance. In this talk, I will talk about what SSR is all about and how developers can make use of this technique to improve their Angular apps. I will also be talking about what is new in Angular v16 with regards to SSR.

LEARNING FLUTTER BY BUILDING A GAME

🕜 1:15 pm

Sylvia Dieckmann (Mobile App Developer, GDE Flutter/Dart)

A casual game can be a good use case when learning a new framework or toolkit. In this talk, I discuss my experience building small games for Android and iOS with the aim of studying the Flutter framework.

Flutter is a popular open-source mobile app development framework. It supports building apps for multiple platforms (including Android, iOS, Linux, Web) from a single code base. Flutter has gained much respect from the developer community since its introduction in 2017 and is considered particularly suited for smaller teams and MVP (minimum viable product) development.

LUNCH BREAK

🕜 1:45 pm

BEST PRACTICES FOR DEVELOPING AMAZING KOTLIN MULTIPLATFORM APPS

🕜 1:55 pm

Pamela Hill (Developer Advocate at JetBrains)

Since reaching Beta status in October 2022, Kotlin Multiplatform (KMP) has become a popular choice for teams wanting to share code between platforms, especially between iOS and Android. While knowledge of Kotlin and the Android platform is a good start to understanding this technology, there’s still plenty to learn and master. In this talk, we will focus on the recommended approaches to getting Kotlin Multiplatform right.

More specifically, we will learn about:

• Improving your Kotlin/Swift interoperability.
  • Using the expect/actual mechanism correctly.
  • Doing concurrent operations with coroutines and flows in Kotlin Multiplatform apps.
  • The recommended libraries and tools to use in your Kotlin Multiplatform apps.
  • Sharing images, internationalized strings, and other resources between platforms.

After this session, participants will have a better understanding of the complexities of developing Kotlin Multiplatform applications and how to best navigate this new and exciting landscape.

BATHROOM BREAK

🕜 2:35 pm

OVERENGINEERING FOR A STARTUP: HOW NOT TO USE FIREBASE

🕜 2:45 pm

Jason Brown (Software Engineeer & Co-Founder at Artbeat)

In this session, Jason will provide a candid account of his experience as a tech lead for a startup and discuss their journey of building a product from the ground up. Their initial approach was heavily influenced by industry best-practices: microservices, complex API management, intricate CI/CD pipelines, custom backends, and AuthZ flows. But over time, has has realised this might have been an overcomplicated solution for a startup like ours.

Jason will offer an overview of their current setup, delving into the tools they use, their development flow, and their CI/CD pipelines (an example of which will be available on GitHub). More importantly, he'll share how he would've adopted a simpler, more streamlined strategy if he was starting over.

This reflection isn't about regret, but a learning opportunity for both himself and other developers navigating the startup space and trying to build something from scratch. The key takeaway is a shift in focus. Instead of mimicking the practices of big tech companies, the focus should be on speed and simplicity.

Focus on your first feature. Focus on your first user: There’s no point having a super robust development system designed for an organisation of hundreds when there are 3 developers on your team. There’s no point creating an app that scales to millions if you can’t build out your first feature or obtain your first user.

Jason will discuss the merits of establishing a straightforward and maintainable system that reduces the number of procedures to follow, and optimising for speed—a crucial factor for startups.

Join him in exploring this hands-on, practical approach to building a startup's technical infrastructure, where he'll illuminate some of the key features of Firebase to accelerate development and a development setup ripe for a startup that can lead to more effective development practices.

CLOSING REMARKS

🕜 3:25 pm

When

When

Saturday, August 19, 2023
8:30 AM – 2:00 PM (UTC)

Speakers

• John Kimani

Google

• Maia Grotepass

Luno

Staff Engineer: Android principal

• Wayne Gakuo

GDE for Angular | Frontend Developer | Angular x TypeScript | Lead at Angular Kenya | Co-Organizer at GDG Nairobi

• Sylvia Dieckmann

Mobile App Developer, GDE Flutter/Dart

• Pamela Hill

JetBrains

Developer Advocate

• Jason Brown

CTO at Artbeat

Partners

Jetbrains logo

Jetbrains

Afrolabs logo

Afrolabs