Berlindroid - Android Developer Meetup - March 2019

This month we do networking with style… and talks. ~~ Anita Singh: Styles, Themes, Material Theming, Oh My! "You want to style the title of dialogs throughout your app and you think it should be simple enough. However, once you dive into it, you might start asking questions - should I use alertDialogTheme or alertDialogStyle? Should I use dialogTitle, windowTitle or textAppearanceLarge? It is n

Mar 27, 2019, 6:00 – 8:00 PM

RSVP'd

Key Themes

About this event

This month we do networking with style… and talks.

~~

Anita Singh: Styles, Themes, Material Theming, Oh My!

"You want to style the title of dialogs throughout your app and you think it should be simple enough. However, once you dive into it, you might start asking questions - should I use alertDialogTheme or alertDialogStyle? Should I use dialogTitle, windowTitle or textAppearanceLarge? It is no secret that the styling and theming system in Android is complex, but I promise there is some method to the madness! We can avoid writing custom components just to achieve pixel perfection if we know how tame to the beast.

In this talk, we will learn about the difference between themes and styles, the hierarchy of different styling techniques and how to use them effectively. We will also discuss migrating to the newest app theme in town - the Material Components Theme and using the new attributes that come with it, like “colorOnSurface”.

At the end of this talk, you will know how to style your app like a pro with the correct use of Styles, Themes, TextAppearance and sensible defaults while specifying color, shape and typography through Material Theming."

~~

Nicola Corti: Let me write your networking code

"When writing networking code, you want to make sure the code between the client and server implementation is consistent. After spending hours defining the APIs with your backend engineers, you’ll probably need to spend even more time implementing those details over to your code (and guess what… your backend engineers will be doing the same!). This process is boring, time consuming, and prone to errors.

Wouldn’t it be cool if this process were automated? If you could have classes and interfaces that mirror your API definition? And if they were automatically tested and ready to use out of the box?

It can be done! At Yelp, we define our APIs using Swagger Specs and we successfully automated the generation of our networking code for both servers and clients (iOS & Android). On Android, we generate Kotlin Data Classes and Retrofit APIs that mirror our spec files and are ready to use for all engineers. In this talk, we will explore how we set up our code generation pipeline and how you can start doing it, too."

~~

Like always there will be enough time to socialize and have a drink or two with your fellow Android developers.

Organizers

• Mario Bodemann

Deutsche Telekom

GDG Organizer

• Louis Tsai

Zalando SE

Android Developer

• Matthias Geisler

"Geißler"

Contact Us